All computer based exams will require access to the appropriate software. All online theory based exams require the Lockdown Browser to be installed prior to exams. Other types of software that may be required are MS Office 2010/2013 (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), Express Scribe transcription software, etc.
It is the responsibility of students writing exams at private exam sites to ensure that the required software is set up, and tested, in advance of the scheduled exam. Any software issues should be directed to the DL Help Desk for assistance.
College of the North Atlantic utilizes software called Respondus LockDown Browser to increase exam security. The use of the Lockdown Browser is mandatory for students completing online theory-based exams.
The LockDown Browser is a customized browser that increases the security of online testing in Desire2Learn. When students use the LockDown Browser to access a quiz, they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, access other applications, or close a quiz until it is submitted for grading. The LockDown Browser works much like a standard browser, such as Internet Explorer or Firefox, but some options have been removed or work differently. The list below highlights some of these differences.
- Modified Toolbar - The condensed browser toolbar includes only Forward, Back, Refresh and Stop functions.
- Assessment Mode - Assessments are shown full-screen and cannot be minimized, resized, or exited until submitted for grading.
- Disabled Controls - All printing, keystroke combinations, screen grab, function keys, and right-click menus have been disabled.
- Links - Links to web sites within the quiz do not compromise the secure testing environment. Students can only access the specific web page linked in the quiz all other links on that web page are disabled.
- Blocked Features & Applications - The Start button (Windows), system tray, and menu bars have been removed. Hundreds of screen capture, messaging, screen-sharing and network monitoring applications are blocked.
To download LockDown Browser visit, Respondus, or go to the DL Toolbox link in the Support widget on your D2L My Home page.
Detailed instructions on the installation and use of the LockDown Browser can be found in the Quick Start Guides linked below: