Course Home is the first page you visit when you enter a course, as shown below. Similar to My Home, it also contains widgets, tool links on the navbar, and resources that enable you to access your personal information, account settings, and course specific content.
The Course Home Navbar is your main navigation tool within a course, providing relevant tools and resources.
- Content: provides access to course materials, such as course outline, schedule, etc.
- Assessments: provides access to Dropbox, Grades, Quizzes, and Self Assessments.
- Dropbox: enables you to submit assignments, eliminating the need to mail, fax, or email.
- Grades: allow you to check your grades on assignments and tests.
- Quizzes: allows you to take a quiz, review your results, and see class statistics for a quiz.
- Self Assessments: allows you to test your knowledge of the course material, however, responses are not graded.
- Communication: provides access to several different ways for students and instructors to communicate within Brightspace. Each has different features and each is designed to facilitate a different type of communication.
- Blog: post and respond to questions, engage in discussions, and share opinions and comments with other users. Blog entries can be public or private.
- Chat: real-time, text-based tool used to brainstorm ideas, have a discussion, or organize a study group.
- Discussions: post, read, and reply to messages on different topics, ask questions, share files, or work with your peers on assignments and homework.
- Email: send and receive messages from within Desire2Learn.
- Locker: upload and store files from your computer to D2L. Personal lockers are kept private, while the Group locker allows you to collaborate on files with others.
- Online Rooms: Microsoft Lync is a live web conferencing platform that allows you to interact with your instructor and classmates using video, two-way audio, text messaging, a shared whiteboard and more.
- Surveys: may be used to seek opinions and assess user satisfaction.
- Course Tools: provides access to a variety of tools to help you successfully complete your online studies.
- Attendance: can be used both as a simple attendance tool, but also as a level of performance or participation type tool.
- Checklist: highlights important or required assignments, readings, or other items to complete.
- Classlist: view your instructor(s) and other students enrolled in your course, send email or pager messages, and view shared locker files.
- Competencies: view your level of acheivement in the course(s).
- Groups: used to create collaboration and communication activities, but also for some very creative learning role-play and case study type activities.
- Rubrics: an assessment tool used to evaluate an activity or item.
The remainder of the Course Home page contains widgets which contain links to various tools.
- Welcome: a welcoming message from your instructor with access to the Instructor's Bio Page.
- News (Course): used to communicate important updates and information from your instructor.
- Updates: new discussion postings, new quizzes, and new emails will appear here.
- Calendar: Course specific due dates, that your instructor has added, will appear here.
- Support: contains contact information to the DL Help Desk and DL Bookstore.