Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition
Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR) is a process that involves the identification, documentation, assessment and recognition for credit of learning previously acquired. This may include work and life experiences, previous postsecondary education and training, independent study, volunteerism, travel, and hobbies. Application of this policy is limited to learning that is not recognized through the normal credit transfer mechanism established between postsecondary institutions.
Early Childhood Education Distance Learners currently active in the program may apply for PLAR in one of two ways:
- Submitting an In-Semester PLAR application, on a course by course basis, when registering for a course in the semester in which it is being offered.
- Submitting an application for Comprehensive PLAR. This process allows for applying for multiple courses at the one time, at defined times in the year.
- Specific information on prior learning (e.g., other courses taken, relevant work experiences, workshops attended) relevant to the course must be provided in order for a PLAR application ((In-Semester or Comprehensive PLAR) to be accepted. The faculty assessor determines whether an application for PLAR is accepted, and if an application is accepted, determines which methods are used to assess for PLAR.
- Current learners will be permitted to submit PLAR applications for any courses in the program for which they believe they have already acquired the appropriate level of knowledge and skills, except FW1601, FW2600, and FW2601 (Field Placement II, III and IV).
- Check the Registration Information on Course Registration Information Page for information on PLAR deadline dates http://dls.cna.nl.ca/ece/course_registration_information.htm
- If a learner does not register for 2 consecutive semesters s/he is considered to be inactive. All comprehensive PLARs in process are therefore cancelled.
- Learners with a minimum of 2 years+ experience in an early learning setting may apply for Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) for FW1600.
- All co-requisite courses for FW1600 must be completed or in progress when a learner applies for PLAR for FW1600.
- Information and the forms you will need to apply for Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition: